Rainbow over the minicipality

Rainbow over the minicipality

Saturday 22 October 2016

<! DOCTYPE="PRIVATE">
The Speed of Light is defined as 99792458 meters per second, but what is a meter and what is a second.  On examination, the meter is defined as how far light will travel in one 99792458ths of a second, which would be a meaningless circle of definitions excapt that we now take the Speed of Light to be a Mathematical Constant, in the same way the e and pi are constant so that now we just have a balance between the meter and the second. 

the second is now defined by a complex precision in the timing of a quantum fluctuation in a Cesium atom, and that is defined to be 9 192 631 770 times the atomic time scale chosen, perhaps because of its ease of measurement.  this is 30.66331898849837 times the Speed of Light. And why isn't the speed of light set at a simple billion, instead of this close approximation from the coincidental similarity of certain choices in our human-defined standards, like the cubit/inch/meter or the second?

This is not the same as the suggested minimum quantum of time itself, which is related to the incredibly tiny Plank's Number.  <p>


One day our species will have a totally different numbering and measuring system that will make us look to them as archaic, like Roman Numerals look to us.  The fundamental units will be redefined in terms of absolute values that exist in the world, not just what looks convenient to us, like the meter and the kilogram.  Measurements won't be linear like our present tape-measures, but exponential, so that the unit of measurement is related to the size of what is being measured.  It works in Science but we don't yet use it in normal, day-to-day life.<nl> I won't live to see it, sadly, probably not even if I had just been born this century.

It is such a waste of time thinking about these things, but it takes my mind of my imminent death.  I keep thinking that if the bleeding persists till Tuesday, I shall take myself to the new Cance Clinic and beg them to take me in.  Then I can cancel Mr C.... what's his name.  I might yet make it to the Opera.  That was the icing on the cake of pain, so to speak, finding the very day of the test was the day I had booked for the Opera, to see Anne Bolyne.  I don't have a proper diary/calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment