Rainbow over the minicipality

Rainbow over the minicipality

Saturday 15 October 2016

DanceHouse, 12th Tishri



Dear DanceHouse People,
How do I recover my white garment, washed in Murray water?  I don’t like this emphasis on colour.  What are we, the ‘whities’ who need our sins expunged by traditional washing.  I deplore the use of ‘black’ to define Aboriginal people, many of whom do not have very dark pigmentation.  It means the same as ‘nigger’ which has deplorable connotations, yet people like to own ‘black’.
We are coming up again soon to Australia Day, which Aboriginal people deliberately use divisively, by rejecting the general celebration of our nation in favour of a separate mourning of the ‘invasion’.  As long as this persists, Reconciliation will be impossible.  As an all-inclusive  nation, we need to find a different day on which to remember and mourn the tragedies of the past.  This shameful history should be commemorated by all Australians, not just those who can prove genetic, ancestral occupancy of Country since ancient times. 
I see from the DanceHouse Diary that DanceHouse is at the forefront of the divisiveness and internal social dislocation that tragically splits the world’s community of people.  ‘Anti-Capitalism’ is a failed philosophy that is ‘so last century’.  It is the sort of movement that has generated phenomena like Trump.  I notice that you charge a ticket price!  You should make your performances free and include a voluntary donation box at the entrance, where you would most probably take in more than you do selling tickets.  It is fine being an adolescent iconoclast, but it is quite unrealistic in the real world and the predominance of these divisive attitudes of unbridled hatred towards others produces the worst reactions.
In the second performance piece, where two people, apparently with international ‘dance’ experience. Just flopped around for an hour in a dark, undefined space, moving slightly closer and then further from time to time, which was as close to meaningless as anything I have seen.  As to the soundtrack, I think one of the conflicting voices repeated the Moslem declaration of faith, but the other sounds were meaningless to me.  Were they Xian chants?  It was essentially trivial movement to noise.  It was quite hypnotic, and I cannot say I did not enjoy it – on some level, but watching the trees move in the wind, which I often like to do, is just as entertaining.
Better explanation of the first performance piece would have been better.  Fortunately, I read the brief notes that were hidden away in the foyer and which I am sure most people did not read.  I did look at the plates, but there was no time to study them to see if there was hidden significance in what was drawn.  None of us knew what to do when we sat at the table.  I think one person gobbled up their scone without any idea of its significance, while I was horrified by what it all meant and found it very confronting and thought provoking.  I would not eat the bread because I am a vegetarian, let alone not a cannibal, but the shock of thinking about the slavery that used to produce this bread and the symbolism of Aboriginal blood would have prevented me from even one bite.  There was too much waiting without knowing what was happening and that greatly distracted from the experience. 
I liked the idea of the washing, but the projected lists of massacres was unintelligibly written and so spasmodic in its projection that only the idea of it had meaning and its realisation was a failure.  I thought the ratio between the huge, central performance space and the audience space along the dusty edges of the floor said something about your attitude to us, the people for whom you perform.  Clearly, from all this, DanceHouse is all about ‘us’ and I regret that I am an outsider and not one of ‘you’.  Gosh!  I so hate all this divisiveness. 
Please send me back my white garment, randomly numbered ‘1’.  It will become a treasured part of my wardrobe, remembering the context in which it was laundered.  The massacres were a long time ago, but the attitude of inter-racial hatred that is promoted mostly by Aboriginal people and their fellow-travellers is causing a perpetuation of the tragedies.  I understand that now days more Aboriginal babies are being removed from their families than before the Stolen Generation Report.  There are things wrong with our Economic System, but they need to be fixed, and that will not happen while people like you dream of replacing it with some sort of ideal, theoretical utopia, and constantly express this hatred and contempt for other humans instead of working within the ‘system’ to make it work for everyone.  This conclusion is the result of me reaching seventy years of age and having gradually observed the folly of my own youthful rebelliousness.  Fifty years ago I would have agreed with all your mythical anti-establishment values, but now I am just very depressed and disappointed to see that our global society is no closer to harmony than we were in centuries past.  The more things change the more they stay the same.
The Melbourne Festival gives us the opportunity for unexpected experiences.  Some are truly transcendental, but others just make me think, and sadly what I think is ‘same old same old – going nowhere’.  We must not forget the tragedies of the past, but we need a Sorry Day for all of us, not a divisive one from which us ‘whities’ are excluded.  BTW, I studied Aboriginal Cultures with Open University a few years ago and got a High Distinction, so I feel I have a right to comment on these issues, not that anyone listens or agrees. 
Regards,
naum@tered.org

No comments:

Post a Comment