Rainbow over the minicipality

Rainbow over the minicipality

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Roofless in Armadale

Thanks for the encouraging message.  It is amazing.  There is still a lot of rubbish hanging from the rafters so it would not be a pretty picture.  I have been talking down stairs.  Nick the owner/developer was there.  I took him in the back to have a look and we saw that part of the downpipe from the top, front roof had been removed, so when (sadly not if) it rains next weekend, not only will we have the direct rain, but all the run-off from the entire other roof.  Fortunately we noticed it, thanks to showing him through.  Nick had to show off by pulling out his mobile cell-phone and going to Google Earth and zooming in so we could see the missing downpipe.

Yes, we are not quite ready for Michael yet, but getting close.  Once the new roof is on, this time next week, we can pat ourselves on the back.  There is still some work at the back to fill the expanding gap next to the door where the wall is not vertical, re-bracket the door post and turn the step into a steep ramp.  Then a plumber for the trough, but I have a new plumber we found for Billy's plumbing emergency.

Do I correctly deduce you have time to fill and energy to expend in Berlin?  I thought you played 'Den Mother' to lots of young musicians.  Here is an idea: next time you are off somewhere, to accompany Brett on a tour, organise a tour of your own and take a group of people with you.  It would be a sinch to arrange as hotels and transport people love groups and fall over themselves to help in a way they never do for individuals unless you are an A++ list Celeb.  You might need a minimum of ten and more than fifteen could be difficult, and you could aim for both ends of the market, people paying top price for the opportunity to meet the musicians as well as attend a particular concert, as well as an opportunity for young musicians to experience the music-scene in another city.  Of course you can do it with painters, too, and in either case you might or might not want to provide commentary.  That way, not only do you pay for your travel, but you may make considerable extra income, while keeping busy, meeting lots of excellent people and sharing the joy you personally experience in your adio-visual world.

I posted something to my FaceBook page today.  It started off as a comment in a request to my Internet Service Provider, and I liked it so posted it.  I don't post often to my own page.  Here is is:
- - - -
Like most people, I find CyberSpace is a multi-dimensional, fractal maze, where everything seems to repeat, but differently and no path leads to an end or a definitive answer, but becomes an infinite, looping, branching spiral. I like that sentence, I will post it to one of my FaceBook pages or one of my Blogs, all of which started with great enthusiasm, till some Catastrophe point is reached and everything jumps from one orthogonal framework, with all its fractal complexity, to another. The asbestos roof at the back went yesterday, but the new roof does not materialise till next week: it is like being trapped in a level of a game, where you cannot recover till the next throw of the die.
-----

The Pollack/Pollock?
It has faded badly and doesn't look like anything much now, perhaps like the sign might have if I had not over-painted it, and it had just gone green and mouldy, because the green is about the only colour that has stayed.
I was going to get them to carry it in the back so I could keep it.  At first I was going to put it in my corridoor, but it is too long.  I am not sure it would even fit in the back.  I think it could be good for something to paint over, like a super-long, outdoor canvas, in which case if it did fit, we could keep it, and that would be easier that cutting it up and disposing of it.
W'a' ''u t'ink?
I didn't think of Jackson Pollock at all when I was doing it, and it never occurred to me that I was doing some sort of 'action painting' on top of a ladder, till someone mentioned the idea to me.  I only discussed it with about three people in all those years, and have no idea what most people thought about it, if they even saw it and thought about it.  Perhaps it was only two: Anthony what'shisname now gone from carpets over the road, and some bloke who was walking past one day when I was outside whom I have never seen again.  And you, so that makes three.  Anyhow, it is so derivative to copy something like Pollock's seemingly easy technique that I regret now mentioning it to you.

I had better do something else now, so stay tuned, as they say.  I might do a photograph, though there isn't that much to see, just the broken downpipe through the rafters.  Hmmm?




Quoting Heather Betts <heatherbetts@me.com>:

[Hide Quoted Text]Hi Naum,
This sounds amazing, it must feel all so different already. Fabulous! The name of my guy was Michael, the Builder from St Kilda. But there are probably a few steps to cover before his services are needed. If you manage a photo, it would be great to see the progress, but don't worry if it's a hassle. I know the feeling of everything in action and feeling all excited and jumpy but with nothing busy to do myself! Maybe it feels like that for you a bit? I usually just flap around the perimeter uselessly!
Well the new roof will be there soon enough, what a good feeling. Especially to be rid of that poisonous stuff. And maybe then investigate a smart car?? 🚗
And what will happen to the PollackPollock?
Loving the updates, love the details like the boring gloves!
Love to you
Hexxx

On 4 Apr 2017, at 09:05, naum@tered.org wrote:

The Asbestos is gone.  Remember when we went into the Council and asked?  Seems so long ago now.  Paul rang me late afternoon to say it was all done, the inspector had been, and the site was declared safe, and we have a certificate to frame and hang on the wall.  This week is going to be sunny, but the weekend promises rain, and the new roof does not come till Monday.  Rooves don't travel fast.  I spoke to the Rick the Roof man on Monday.  He is back from England and everything is supposedly right on queue.  So far so good, but I am always nervous as I have experienced things going wrong before.  I keep reminding myself that this is your project and for you everything flows with classical harmony.  I was going to take a photograph of the men on the roof, removing it, which was visible from my balcony, but they had finished that side too quickly, and besides they had similar suits to the one Mark had, but boring gloves.  I will try and photograph the exposed roof timbers, perhaps.  Mat is supposedly back from his second honeymoon, this time to Japan, but I have not seen him yet.  He is the main one to arrange things like the step and we still haven't cleared out all the rubbish attached to the roof.  Everything else is waiting till the roof is done, then you can contact your Carpenter friend, whose name a have forgotten again, and he can fit it out.  Then there is the sink to attach, but that should be enough before you return, though that is not for another half-year. [Sob, sob, sob.]  By then we will ahve the front of the building fixed up, too.  It will be good bye to my abstract doodle on the front that I did to cover up Abbas's sign.  It was Pollack does Pollock, and apparently was quite an element in the ambiance of that end of High Street, so some people told me over the years to my surprise as I assumed it was universally ignored.  The Site Office might still be there when you return, as they might not move into the new building as planned, when it is habitable and while it is being fitted out and stay with us.  After they go, I don't know what will happen.  The long term idea was for us upstairs to move down there while upstairs is being remodeled, but after all this time, I doubt it will happen.  When Abbas was first turfed out, nearly twenty years ago now, I had the idea of a cafe, but they are everywhere now so that is out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment